Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Not so much a city girl anymore.

I’m so glad my contract with SMOE has finally come to an end.  I guess what sucks about working for SMOE is if you don’t like your school, you’ll just have to stick it out or find your own alternatives.  SMOE teachers that choose to re-contract are stuck in their school for a total of three years before they are allowed to transfer to another school.  As for me, I didn’t want to stay another day at my crappy school so I decided to sacrifice life in Seoul and move to another city because I wanted to continue working for a public school.  Really not interested in working for private academies. Yes, I went through the long application and interview process all over again. And while filling the application, I realized that EPIK have changed their applications.  City preference was omitted and there was only an option of city or country.  Thank goodness, I found a sneaky way around it and got placed into my preferred city. 
So here I am in Daejeon.  So far everything has been going really well.  I like my school a lot and I like my studio.  This time around, I asked for housing subsidy and found my own place because last year’s experience was more than enough for me to handle.  Housing in Daejeon is a lot cheaper than Seoul so it’s pretty cost efficient.  Decent place for a reasonable price. Believe it or not, I much prefer living here.  I’ve been asked by so many why I moved from Seoul to Daejeon.  To be honest, I think Seoul is over rated.   It’s really not that nice living there but perfect for traveling!  (So if you ever get placed in cities other than Seoul it really isn’t that much of a disappoint.  Though others might go against my words. :P) There is a lot to see and do and food is delicious but the city is just too crowded and big to live in.  Crazy drivers and packed subway.   It takes forever to meet up with friends and from where I lived, taxing home at night from “the happening” (Gangnam, Hondae) would at least cost me 20 000 won( $20).  Just too overwhelming for simple me. But I got to say that shopping in Daejeon can’t be compared to Seoul.  They have everything there and if there’s one thing I miss the most it’d be shopping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment